Children at EDS develop at their own pace with the guidance and support of loving, dedicated and experienced teachers. Through visual arts, drama, music, movement, storytelling, language arts, science, and mathematics, children learn to interact with their environment as problem-solvers.
Individually and in small groups, they are engaged in the school’s listening and library centers, water and sand tables, blocks and puzzles, games, music center, playground, and more. There are places in each classroom for children to curl up with a book, a doll, or another friend in quiet play: to act out a favorite story or a spontaneous drama: to paint, draw, write and build; and to come together as a community of friends.
CLASSROOM & FACILITIES
- Five spacious and bright classrooms
- A library
- Motor room
- Office area
- We have use of a large city playground with a paved court and a ball field
- Ample parking with a security guard to ensure safe parking and access
Prior to each school year every child:
- Receives a personal in home visit with one of the classroom teachers
- Is invited to visit the classroom during our open house
During the school year communications include:
- A parent teacher conference twice a year
- Daily communication sheets from your child’s classroom
- Monthly newsletters from the classrooms
- Monthly newsletter from the Director
Regular Morning Program
Monday through Friday, from 8:30am to 12:30pm, including lunchtime. As you determine a permanent schedule, you may request the days your child attends from two to five mornings per week.
Offered Monday through Friday, from 12:30pm to 3pm or 12:30pm to 4pm. You may register your child for the Extended Day option for any or all of the days s/he attends the regular morning program.
Offered Monday through Friday 8:00am – 8:30am. You may register your child for the Early Arrival option for any or all of the days s/he attends the regular morning program.
In the event there are openings in our Morning Program, Extended Day, or Early Arrival, you may have the option to add school time on a “flex” basis.
For more detailed classroom schedules, please visit our classroom curricula page and download our detailed curriculums.
Each team of teachers provides a child-centered learning environment, taking into account the children’s interests when planning their curricula.
Orange Room - Youngest Toddler Room
- 9 Children to 2 Teachers
- The Orange Room curriculum is developed for young toddlers. The main goal is to provide a safe, comfortable and fun environment for children to learn and grow within. In most cases, it is the child’s first experience in a school setting.
- We focus initially on separation and the child’s adjustment into a group setting. We try to help each toddler to respect each other, work on self-help skills, and explore his/her environment. We accomplish this by assisting toddlers in their daily interactions with each other by listening and responding to their emerging language, and by providing appropriate choices of activities to encourage experimentation. Our priority in the Orange Room is for the children to become confident in their abilities in a safe and nurturing environment.
Download a more detailed curriculum and daily schedule.
Yellow Room - Toddler Room
Purple Room - Youngest Preschool Room
Green Room - Preschool Room
Blue Room - Pre-Kindergarten Room
- The extended day program strives to meet the needs of the children, providing a period of sleep/rest for younger children, as well as sleep/rest/quiet play activity period for preschoolers. Varied quiet activities are provided for “early wakers” in all classrooms. Depending on enrollment, preschoolers may be organized into “napping” or “resting” rooms.
- Along with a school-provided afternoon snack, the extended day program may include gross motor room or outdoor play, a visit to our school library, or a story snuggled up with a teacher.
Download a more detailed curriculum.